Artificial Insemination in Animals
The Problems with Artificial Insemination in Animals
When you hear about artificial insemination you might think about adults. This has certainly become an option that one can consider if becoming pregnant through traditional methods has not been effective. However, you should know that this process can also take place in animals such as dogs and cattle.
There are benefits to artificial insemination with animals such as the ability to produce a better product. This is what a lot of farmers would do with their cattle because they wanted to produce better milk. Others like the thought of artificial insemination because they do not have to move their animals from one location to another in order for the mating process to take place. If you think about larger animals then you can see how this could be a problem. When you consider zoo animals it is very easy to see what it would be like to transport them from one place to the next. Some animals may even be harmed when they are mating. Therefore, artificial insemination will decrease the likelihood of an animal being harmed.
While there are a lot of individuals that will consider this type of conception with animals, it is very important to know that there are some negative aspects to this.
- If you are considering artificial insemination with an animal in order to register it then you should know the facts. One such fact is that with many domesticated animals you are not going to be able to register the animal that is produced through artificial insemination. Many people are not aware of this and it is always important to know what animals cannot be registered before you make any final decisions.
- There are some species that are not going to be able to ovulate unless they are mating. Not very many people realize that some animals must go through the mating process if they are going to be able to become pregnant at all. If you are utilizing artificial insemination then the animal will not be able to become pregnant at all.
- Have you ever considered the dangers that may take place when it comes to artificial insemination? What you are going to see is that if you are the individual in charge of collecting the semen from the animal then you are going to be very close to them. This can be dangerous if you are not really sure what you are doing. If you have not been trained, and you do not know how to do this accurately and safely then you could end up being harmed.
- For individuals that are considering artificial insemination with animals, it is always a good idea to consider the expense. If you are paying to have the sperm shipped to you this can be very expensive. Those that do not know how to go through the process on their own will end up spending a great deal of money because they could end up paying a vet to perform this procedure for them. All of these expenses can add up. If you are serious about artificial insemination with your dogs or cattle then you might want to consider the expenses for these different things and then determine if it is really worth it to you or not.
- What about learning the mating behavior? Have you ever considered this? There have been some studies conducting that say animals must actually witness the act of mating so that they are able to learn how to perform it. When you stop and consider this fact it is very interesting. Considering the fact that most animals will be put to sleep when the artificial insemination process takes place, it can be difficult for them to learn about this process.
It is easy to see that there are positives and negatives in relation to this process. It will be up to you to determine what is going to be the best for you. Of course, you may want to consider your cattle or your dogs before you make any decisions. This is not a decision that should be made without a great deal of thought and consideration.